Online Editions

23rd May, 2022

Spot-kick agony for Bees in final

Redditch Editorial 18th Apr, 2019

JOHN EDWARDS reflected on a missed opportunity for Studley after their hopes of winning the last ever Worcestershire Senior Urn vanished in a penalty shoot-out.

The Bees twice led against higher league Worcester City, only to concede a fluke equaliser with four minutes left and then lose 6-5 on penalties in sudden-death in the final at Evesham United’s Jubilee Stadium.

It was another tale of ‘if only’ on Saturday when they watched Heather St John’s celebrate winning the Midand League Division One title at the Beehive after a 2-1 win, despite threatening a second half fightback.

However, Edwards and joint-manager Wayne Bunn want Studley to quickly get over the double disappointment when they face two away fixtures over Easter, travelling to Coventry Copsewood on Saturday and then going to Paget Rangers on Monday. On Saturday, April 27 they end the season away to Leicester Road.

“The performance in the cup final was a real positive but it’s also frustrating that we don’t produce that form more often,” said Edwards.

“It was the same against Heather. We were really leggy in the first 20 minutes and they raced away to lead 2-0 but then we completely dominated.

“We need to make sure now we finish the season on a high in the last three games.”

Against Premier Division Worcester last Thursday, Studley flew out of the traps and struck first when Dan Carter pounced on 16 minutes.

Alhough Dave Reynolds levelled five minutes later, Dale Edwards thundered home a ferocious 20-yarder to restore the Bees’ lead but City grabbed the equaliser with six minutes left with a big slice of fortune when the ball hit Reynolds and he swivelled to fire home for 2-2.

“It felt like a missed opportunity against Worcester,” said Edwards. “We had chances when we were 2-1 up and if we had got a third goal it would have been game over.

“It was the best we’ve played for some time and I couldn’t fault the lads. We were good value to lead 2-1, Dale Edwards scored a cracker and we gave it our all.

“We expected they would come back at us and they did but they didn’t create too much until the ball came off the backside of their striker and he swung a boot and the ball flew into the roof of the net. When it’s not to be your night, that’s what happens.”

On Saturday, Studley fell 2-0 behind inside 30 minutes after Chris Cowley netted twice for a Heather side who needed three points for the title.

Carter replied for Studley just before half-time with a header from a pinpoint cross and they hit the bar straight after the break before skipper Dave Edwards sent a header straight at keeper Billy Spink in the final moments.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Redditch Standard.


Check out the latest videos on our YouTube channel.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Redditch Standard newspaper.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.