Reds looking to continue momentum in Yate test - The Redditch Standard
Online Editions

15th Aug, 2022

Reds looking to continue momentum in Yate test

Correspondent 5th Aug, 2021

REDDITCH United will be aiming to sign off their pre-season endeavours in style when they face Yate Town in their final friendly on Saturday.

The Reds meet Southern Premier South side at the Trico Stadium following a 2-2 draw at Stourport Swifts and a 3-1 victory at Merthyr Town, with the squad having the last chance to stake their claim for the Premier Central against visitors Hitchin Town a week on Saturday (August 14).

Matt Clarke included five triallists for the midweek clash at Walshes Meadow but they were frustrated not to come away with the win after wasting several good chances in the second half.

The Reds had an ideal start, going ahead after 10 minutes. Dan Sweeney was hauled down as he was about to shoot and though Swifts keeper saved his spot-kick the striker reacted sharpest to tuck home the rebound.

Swifts responded to level three minutes later through Elliott Lees.

Tiago bagged his second goal in successive games to fire the Reds back ahead 10 minutes after the break, one of the triallists setting him up from Chay Tilt’s pass.

But Swifts skipper Martin Slevin equalised 15 minutes from time, heading home a right-wing free-kick.

Three first-half goals had fired the Reds to a 3-1 win at Merthyr Town in Saturday’s friendly.

The game in south Wales – with Redditch facing the club which had provided the opposition in their last appearance in the FA Cup first round in 1989 – provided a tough test but Clarke’s men were up to the challenge at the MetCoaches Community Stadium.

Tiago opened the scoring after 20 minutes, firing home after Dan Sweeney’s shot had been saved.

The hosts hit back when Ian Traylor ran through to lob keeper Kieran Boucher but Redditch soon gained control with two quickfire goals.

Within moments of the equaliser, the Reds won a corner and Sweeney slammed home an instinctive shot and then they made it 3-1 four minutes before half-time. After Curtis Hutson’s shot was saved, Tiago regained possession and back-heeled the ball into the path of Kieran Day who drilled the ball into the top corner.

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Redditch Standard to boost your online presence.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.