No joy as play is brought to a halt - The Redditch Standard
Online Editions

9th Aug, 2022

No joy as play is brought to a halt

Liam Moakes 11th Nov, 2020

IT WAS a week to forget for local non-League sides with the news they will not be back in action until early December at the earliest coupled with disappointing results on the pitch.

Alvechurch were able to squeeze in a final match before lockdown restrictions kicked in but it was a night to erase from the memory as they were beaten 2-0 by visitors Nuneaton Borough in Southern Premier Central.

Ian Long’s men remain in the bottom third of the division but the table is extremely congested and there is all to play for when the action resumes.

A fine finish from Olly Bassett put the visitors ahead early on at Lye Meadow on Tuesday before former Birmingham City striker Leroy Lita won and converted a penalty shortly into the second half to sentence the hosts to defeat.

The performances of forward Jake Wakeling and midfielder Dylan Barkers were the plus points for Alvechurch.

The setback came hot on the heels of Saturday’s 2-1 FA Trophy third qualifying round defeat at an impressive Basford United, for whom late goals from Wayde Hines and Marcus Marshall clinched victory for the Northern Premier League Premier Division hosts despite an even later superb 25-yard strike from Kieran Cook which reduced the arrears.

Elsewhere, Studley’s FA Vase hopes were ended at the first round stage on Tuesday as visitors Long Eaton United ran out 4-1 winners at the Beehive.

Redditch United’s scheduled Southern Premier Central home fixture against Hednesford Town on Tuesday was postponed, meaning Matt Clarke’s side have to stew on Saturday’s 3-2 home defeat to Nantwich Town in the FA Trophy third qualifying round.

The Reds played some excellent football but were edged out by their Northern Premier League Premier Division visitors thanks to a Callum Saunders brace and screamer from Prince Haywood.

The match was goalless at the break but sprung into life early in the second half through Saunders’ opener which was cancelled out by Thomas Hillman.

However, the Cheshire side took a 3-1 lead which meant a second goal late on for Hillman was nothing more than a consolation for United, who handed a second half substitute debut to new signing Kieran Dunbar.

The 24-year-old midfielder has joined the Reds from fellow Southern Premier Central club Nuneaton Borough. The former Birmingham City youngster has also played for AFC Telford United and Leamington in the past.

Redditch’s Trico Stadium tenants Feckenham have appointed Glenn Adams as joint manager.

Adams is no stranger to Feckenham and he returns to the Millers following a period as assistant manager and reserves manager more than a decade ago.

Previously involved with Midland Football Alliance (Step 5) outfits Highgate United and Studley, Adams will work directly with Aaron Blackwood and the backroom team.

Club chairman Tony Round said: “We’ve been fortunate at Feckenham in recent years to attract good people to the club who appreciate the challenges we face but share our ambition and Glenn is another fantastic addition.

“It goes without saying Glenn’s wealth of local football knowledge and managerial experience will be invaluable and help us reach our short, medium and long-term goals as a club.

“On behalf of myself and our committee, welcome back to Feckenham Glenn.”

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Redditch Standard newspaper.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.


Now, every week, you can also listen to a roundup of Redditch Standard Local News.


Check out the latest videos on our YouTube channel.