Blaze at Redditch bungalows being treated as suspicious

By Tristan Harris Sunday 24 August 2014 Updated: 28/08 11:34

A BLAZE which broke out at a block of bungalows in Redditch is being treated as suspicious by fire investigators.

The incident, at 3am on Saturday (August 23), happened at the properties in Johnson Close.

After starting at the back of the properties, it spread through the spaces in the roof, causing damage to three of the terraced homes. Several other buildings in the area also sustained smoke damage.

Five elderly people were treated at the scene but did not need hospital treatment.

Four people have been rehoused in alternative accommodation or with family members.

Det Sgt Nick Husbands from West Mercia Police said it was extremely lucky that no one was seriously injured in the fire.

"But it could have been different if it wasn’t for the prompt actions of our colleagues in the fire brigade," he added.

“At the moment we are treating this incident as suspicious and we will work closely with the fire service to establish the exact cause of the fire."

He concluded by saying the force would be stepping up patrols in the area and appealed for any witnesses or anyone with any information on the fire to call officers on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Phil Griffiths from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service added: “Our communities are very safe places and fortunately fires as serious as this are very rare.

"However, when we do have incidents like this it is important that they are thoroughly investigated."

He concluded by saying firefighters would be working with local residents in the coming days to raise awareness of fire safety.

Share This

Regional news »


Bromsgrove Standard
Development of key Bromsgrove town centre sites a step closer

THE DEVELOPMENT of the two ends of Bromsgrove High Street ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Stratford Observer
School children coach evacuated on M40

SCHOOLCHILDREN were safely evacuated after smoke started to fill their ...

Evesham Observer
Festive fare at fayre

HUNDREDS of pounds was raised when a Vale village hosted ...