Hi: 25° Lo:11°
By Connie Osborne Friday 04 July 2014 Updated: 04/07 09:03
A FORMER needle maker took a trip down memory lane to celebrate her centenary.
Iris Fraser celebrated the milestone with more than 100 family and friends at a tea party at Entaco Sports and Social club in Studley on Saturday (June 28).
The Studley resident worked at the famous needle making company for more than 20 years largely producing knitting needles as well as working behind the bar at events.
She also had jobs at The Barley Mow, The Bell Inn, Jack Thompson brewery, and made bayonets at Herbert Terry and Co during the war.
The Watts Close resident has lived in the village since the age of 15, after leaving home where she helped look after her eight brothers and sisters.
She met her first husband, Charlie Peace, at a dance in Mappleborough Green, and the couple remained happily married until he passed away aged 59.
The keen darts player and angler then met her second husband at at caravan site in Offenham.
John Fraser would visit her caravan to do odd jobs for her and their romance sparked over the years.
They had daughter Barbara together and spent 20 years happily married before he passed away.
As well as her daughter, she has two granddaughters, one grandson and one great-grandson.
She put her age down to eating well and clean living.
“We had no money in those days, so you had to work hard. When I worked at the needle factories you had to watch each other so people didn’t pinch things.
“It was hard times, not like now.
“I used to go dancing, I loved dancing. I taught the grandchildren how to dance. One would be on one side of the room and the other would be in the corner. I’d teach them all.
She added: “I look after myself now, eat well, live clean, because I should.”
A SPEED camera in Studley has been named
A PRISONER was wrongly freed from HMP Hewell
CANNABIS and a large amount of cash were
A MAN stole an elderly woman's purse after
OFFICERS investigating three car-key burglaries which took place in North ...
SAFETY-CONSCIOUS pupils at Salford Priors Primary have been named fire ...