Thirty nine homes get approval despite fears over traffic ‘chaos’

By Connie Osborne Friday 11 April 2014 Updated: 11/04 09:38

A CONTROVERSIAL housing application has been approved by councillors despite concerns over traffic chaos and emergency access.

A proposal to build 39 homes off Dixon Close in Enfield was given the green light by councillors on Redditch Borough Council’s planning committee on Wednesday (April 9).

The plans, which included 12 affordable homes and a mix of semi-detached, terraced houses and bungalows, was given the go-ahead despite calls by residents to throw it out because of traffic congestion and fears over emergency vehicles struggling to get down the road.

Members of Windsor Heights Management Limited - a group formed to look after the interests of residents on the road - said the homes would put extra pressure on roads where parking was already a big concern, while at peak time it could take up to 15 minutes to get out of the close.

Joshua Lorento added there had already been two incidents in the last six months where ambulances could not get through.

But applicant Nick Laight said the site was an excellent and sustainable location which helped the council fill its quota for housing.

He added the roads were ‘perfectly navigable’ while the site had 72 parking spaces which was eight more than standards set out.

Committee chairman Andy Fry said he was disappointed the roads were so small and access was poor but he was happy to approve the application on the condition development traffic used the Enfield Industrial Estate to access the site instead of Dixon Close.

An emergency access road onto the site would also have to to be built from the industrial estate, while a second access road would be built and used by construction traffic until the final plot was built.

But Coun Brandon Clayton said more traffic would be put onto Dixon Close once the estate was built and he did not believe the council should allow it.

Councillors voted to approve the application by six to two, and Redditch Borough Council’s head of planning has now been granted authority to give final approval following negotiations.

Share This

Popular »

1 Commuters back on track with railway opening

2 Men charged with ram raid on Redditch business

3 Surprise at 'u-turn' on Asda bid

4 Miracle baby's name inspired by hospital

5 Disc-over a bargain

More news »

Man attacked in town centre

A MAN was taken to hospital after he

Design a scout badge to represent Redditch

YOUNG people across Redditch are being challenged to

Scarlet fever cases on the rise in Redditch

THERE has a been a huge spike in

Digging deep for centenary

GREEN-FINGERED volunteers spruced up a Studley school garden

Regional news »


Bromsgrove Standard
Commuters back on track with railway opening

RAIL commuters were back on track this morning (Monday) after ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Stratford Observer
Vulnerable 20-year-old missing from Henley

A VULNERABLE 20-year-old has been missing from Henley since Thusday ...

Evesham Observer
Unprovoked assault on Vale jogger

WITNESSES are being sought following an unprovoked assault on a ...