Hi: 21° Lo:9°
By Harriet Ernstsons Friday 21 February 2014 Updated: 21/02 09:49
THE GOVERNMENT has given Redditch an extra £1,000 after the borough council complained about being handed the worst grant settlement in the county.
Redditch Borough Council leader Bill Hartnett appealed to the Department of Communities and Local Government in charge of handing out money to local authorities following news funding would be cut by a further seven per cent to £9.7 million between 2014 and 2016.
At the time of the announcement he told the Standard he felt continued cuts were 'unsustainable' and the borough had been unfairly hit by the cuts.
But he admitted at a recent executive committee meeting he was unsure whether his appeal had made them change their mind after funding had been cut by a further £200 following a similar letter last year.
In the letter, Coun Hartnett said the council had faced 'unprecedented cuts' to its settlement over the last four years.
"Redditch Borough Council has continued to rise to the challenges in meeting the cuts to central funding by delivering savings whilst protecting frontline services," he said.
"Redditch has suffered a disproportionate level of reduction and we feel that the level of financial support does not recognise the issues that the borough faces. We would be concerned that should this level of cuts continue we would find it difficult to provide our frontline services to residents."
A POLICE investigation has been launched into the
PLANS to cut one of the part-time crews
A STUDLEY star will be stepping into a
A GROUP of Redditch Freemasons has marked its
A TOTAL of 26 power tools worth more than £7,000 ...
IT was olé and away as staff at Morrisons Stratford ...