Neighbours help family escape flames

By Connie Osborne Monday 13 January 2014 Updated: 14/01 12:38

BRAVE neighbours helped rescue a Riverside family after their home went up in flames.

A 16-year-old and two adults escaped serious injury following the blaze at a house in Meadowhill Road about 7.10am yesterday (Sunday).

A total of three fire engines were sent to the scene and on arrival firefighters saw an an adult climbing down from the first floor on a ladder given to them by neighbours.

Crews then used ladders to a rescue another adult from the first floor, while a teenager had already made it safely out of the house.

Both adults were taken to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation and the fire was contained to the kitchen and extinguished.

Mick Cadman, North Worcester fire commander from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said: "The family was alerted to the fire downstairs by a smoke alarm. They took immediate action and were assisted by neighbours.

"Without the smoke alarm this incident would probably have been very significant. Smoke alarms save lives."

Latest News

Buy photos»

Share This

Popular »

1 Go meat free for St George

2 Sheep stolen from Alvechurch

3 Serious sexual assault at lake

4 Police warn parents over free for all

5 Council seizes derelict properties

More news »

Man charged with sexual assault near pub

A MAN has been charged with sexual assault

Redditch charity backs call to honour war heroine

A REDDITCH charity is backing calls to have

Three homes burgled in Redditch

MORE than £1,000 worth of items were taken

Wythall teen in court in Leeds on murder charge

A WYTHALL teenager is due at Leeds Youth

Regional news »


Bromsgrove Standard
The search is on for Bromsgrove and Droitwich heroines

THE BROMSGROVE and Droitwich Standards have teamed up with the ...

Stratford Observer
Shakespeare - England ultimate claim to fame

SHAKESPEARE is England's ultimate claim to fame. The Bard won ...

Evesham Observer
Egg-citing events at the Riverside

EVESHAM's Riverside Shopping Centre went Easter mad last week as ...