By Connie Osborne Thursday 24 October 2013 Updated: 27/10 20:33
A TODDLER had a lucky escape after a ceiling collapsed just yards from where she was sitting.
Horrified father Simon New said his daughter, who is two in December, was covered in dust after the ceiling fell through in the living room of their Batchley home - just 30 minutes after a Redditch Borough Council emergency inspector decided no immediate action was needed.
Mr New had complained to the council about black mould in their top floor flat since November last year, but it was not until their ceiling began to leak last Thursday (October 17) an official came out to look at the problem.
The Lock Close resident said: “My daughter was watching the television on Saturday and I’d just popped out of the room to get the dust pan and brush and then I heard this noise. I ran in and she was lying their crying with dust all over her. Luckily she wasn’t hurt but it really scared her.
“On Thursday it was just dripping at first and then you could see this crack, but it was like a river coming down and everything was soaked.
“It’s just horrible being here. The mould is so bad for the baby and has been giving her chest infections and now we are living with this leaking hole above us.”
He added someone had visited the flat on Monday (October 21) to fix the problem, but they could only cover it temporarily while they waited for the bad weather to clear up.
In the meantime the family of four have been offered temporary accommodation at a bed and breakfast in Kidderminster but rarely use their car due to costs.
“To offer us somewhere in Kidderminster is ridiculous. I don’t want to be here and I don’t want my family to have to live like this but how would we take our six-year-old from Kidderminster to school everyday?
“All I have ever wanted was to get this sorted, but we have been completely left in the dark.
“We’ve been fighting and fighting and fighting for them to sort this place out and they just don’t, then look what happens.”
A council spokeswoman said: “A temporary repair was put in place and weather permitting there will be a permanent solution by the end of next week.
“We are currently liaising with the tenant and have offered temporary accommodation whilst the problem is sorted out.”
A ROARING, smoke breathing animatronic dragon is set
POLICE are preparing to step in and help
FIREFIGHTERS will go out on strike next week
THE WORST storm in more than two decades
AN EIGHT-YEAR-OLD Bromsgrove girl who battled back from a stroke ...
AS WE get ready to launch the Worcester Observer next ...
AN ALCESTER care home hosted the party of the century ...