By Connie Osborne Wednesday 16 October 2013 Updated: 17/10 19:54
FIREFIGHTERS across Worcestershire and Warwickshire will go on strike again this week.
The Fire Brigades Union (FBU) has announced hundreds of firefighters from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service and Warwickshire Fire and Rescue could walk out for up to five hours on Saturday (October 19).
The strike, which is set to take place from 6.30pm until 11.30pm, comes weeks after a previous walk out on September 25, which was sparked after a dispute between the union and the Government over proposed changes to firefighters' pensions.
At the moment crew members are eligible for a pension at 50 as long as they have completed 30 years of service. But the Government now wants them to work until they are 60 before getting their pension.
FBU secretary Matt Wrack said he hoped the first strike was enough to show the Government firefighters were serious about protecting public safety and ensuring fair pensions.
"No firefighter wants to strike, and it’s desperately disappointing that governments in Westminster and Cardiff continue to deny reality over pensions costs and the need for a pension scheme that reflects the job firefighters do.
"We hope this second strike will mean both governments will be willing to discuss the full range of concerns that firefighters and the general public have expressed."
All operational staff who are members of the union and are eligible to join a firefighters pension scheme will take part in the walkout following a recent ballot.
Those employed as emergency call handlers and support staff will work as normal.
A spokeswoman for HWFRS said it had a statutory duty to plan for industrial action in order to maintain the service and a robust business continuity plan had been put in place to deal with it.
Although 'appropriate fire cover' will be provided across the counties, a reduced number of firefighters means there is likely to be a basic service and calls will be prioritised on their urgency.
Jon Pryce, area commander and head of operations for Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service, urged the public to be extra cautious.
"While the industrial action is ongoing we will still be responding to 999 calls, but we will be asking members of the public to take extra steps to reduce the risk of a fire breaking out in their home.
"We would ask people to ensure they have working smoke alarms in their homes as this can provide them with an early warning if a fire should break out in their home. Above all else please remain vigilant."
Andy Hickmott, chief fire officer for Warwickshire, added: "It is regrettable the FBU have now announced strike dates but we hope this national dispute will be resolved swiftly.
"In the meantime we want to ensure the people of Warwickshire are kept safe and I can reassure all members of the community we have robust plans in place to continue to provide an effective fire and rescue service to the whole of the county."
COUNCIL chiefs have been accused of jeopardising the
A FORMER HMP Hewell prisoner who harassed and
A GANG of burglars who smashed their way
A HOLBY actress is hoping to support real-life
POLICE have issued this picture of one of two robbers ...
AS WE get ready to launch the Worcester Observer next ...
NADHIM Zahawi has hit out at a massive proposed pay ...