By Harriet Ernstsons Friday 30 August 2013 Updated: 30/08 15:46
A BUILDING site left undeveloped for more than a decade could be turned into housing following complaints about its state.
The land on Studley Road was given consent to be used for employment in 2000, with at least two further applications being given the green light since, but an angry resident, who did not want to be named, told the Standard little had happened and the site had since fallen into disrepair.
He called on Redditch Borough Council to step in and either enforce the original planning consent given to West Point Construction or stop the site being used for storage - which would come under a different category.
“The poor residents in this area, who have only just started to recover from the blight caused by the aborted Studley bypass have had to put up with this issue for long enough and we have no idea who has the ability to enforce planning within the Redditch borough.”
He alleged no building work had been done other than some drainage trenches which were dug in 2008 and building materials were stored on the site.
Council officers had examined the state of the surrounding fence last year but the resident said the condition had once again worsened.
“The site, which is located on the main access between Studley and Redditch is an absolute mess. The perimeter fence is dilapidated, broken and has completely fallen down in places.
“The site is currently completely open to access via Redditch Road due to the broken down fencing, and therefore the materials contained within are hazardous to the children from the local residential community.”
But John Staniland, the council’s executive director of planning, regeneration, regulatory services and house services said under new national planning rules it was possible to consider alternative uses for land previously earmarked for employment where there was ‘no reasonable prospect’ of the site being used that way.
He added discussions with the site owner were ongoing about using it for residential use, with an assessment about noise levels from nearby businesses underway. Enforcement officers were investigating the condition of the fencing.
A West Point spokesman said it was the first time they had been made aware of the resident’s complaints.
“However we will be looking into this issue with immediate effect.”
A MAN has been jailed for five years
THE TOWN'S biggest nightclub has closed after just
HERE are just some of the area's upcoming
AN ALCESTER hairdresser was a cut above the
OFFICERS from British Transport Police have released CCTV pictures in ...
AS WE get ready to launch the Worcester Observer next ...
THE DEMAND for new homes in the district is greater ...