Concern over school's expansion plans

By Connie Osborne Friday 08 February 2013 Updated: 08/02 10:00

Latest News

Buy photos » An image of what Alcester Academy’s new building could look like. (s)

A TOP performing school in Alcester has announced plans to increase in size to take on more students.

But residents and councillors have called for a re-think over proposals by Alcester Grammar School as they fear an increase in pupils will result in more vehicles dropping off and picking up students leading to dangerous parking and traffic safety issues.

The Birmingham Road school wants to construct a new three storey building which includes science labs and classrooms to allow for an increase in pupil numbers, starting with an extra 30 places from September.

Alcester Town councillors have objected to the plans claiming they do not address parking and traffic issues outside of the school.

A statement from the council said: "It is considered a new Transport Plan is required addressing the on-street parking, and a managed transport plan for the bus access, including adequate safety arrangements for the students."

A Ragley Mill Lane resident added: "Currently there is already a problem, the entrance to what is the Old Mill at the end of Ragley Mill Lane is increasingly blocked with cars making it difficult for residents to enter their own driveway. Vehicles turning is an issue too."

But principal Iain Blaikie said demand for pupil places was growing and the expansion was necessary.

Currently over 1,000 students a year apply to the school which is ranked 30th nationally for its GCSE results. Last year there were 500 applications alone for students wanting to enter Year 12, despite the entire sixth form only having capacity for 550 pupils.

"We are a very popular school, not just in our town but also for neighbouring areas. A lot of students want to come here and we want to provide them with the opportunity to do so," Mr Blaikie said.

He added he was aware of concerns about increased traffic but they were working hard to combat them.

"We are only busy during school registration times and at the end of the day, and we do try to minimise problems by having a very long drive which the buses come down to drop off and collect children."

Stratford District Council is due to decide on the application by March. If approved work could start around Easter.

Share This

Popular »

1 School age change may be driving flood of applications

2 Tax disc replacement launched

3 Family raise money to say thanks

4 Schools to benefit from funding

5 Graves row may lead to a pricey parish poll

More news »

Valentine's Day tree-ts

LOVERS can get fruity this Valentine's Day with

Gritters out ahead of predicted snow

GRITTERS are set to be out and about

Redditch Police Station cells to close

THE CELLS at Redditch Police Station are set

Councillor retires after 40 years

ONE OF Alcester's long serving councillors has retired

Regional news »


Bromsgrove Standard
Family production Duck in a Truck comes to Artrix

A STAGE version of Jez Alborough’s Duck in a Truck ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Stratford Observer
More than £1.2million spent by SDC on planning appeals

MORE than £1.25 million has been spent on planning appeals ...

Evesham Observer
Cutting costs on county agenda

A SWATHE of new cuts are on the way as ...