Hi: 10° Lo:5°
By Harriet Ernstsons Friday 30 November 2012 Updated: 10/12 14:40
A REDDITCH couple who have worked tirelessly for charity since the tragic death of their teenage daughter have been praised in Parliament.
Robert and Maggie Underwood were mentioned in the House of Commons by Karen Lumley as MPs discussed whether all children should be taught life saving first aid skills during school time.
Their daughter Charlotte died suddenly in 2010 from sudden arrhythmic death syndrome and they have since raised thousands in a bid to ensure every school in Redditch has a defibrillator.
During the debate, Mrs Lumley highlighted the work of SADS UK, the charity supported by the Underwoods which raises awareness of Charlotte’s condition as well as funding the equipment.
“In my constituency, Robert and Maggie Underwood have already secured 14 defibrillators for our schools and campaigned tirelessly for that charity,” she added.
Fellow MP Anne-Marie Morris said she was ‘delighted’ to hear about their fund-raising, adding their efforts were ‘absolutely first rate’.
Following the discussion, Mrs Lumley said: “Their work has been inspirational and I am pleased this was recognised by the leader of the debate.
“Ensuring there is sufficient life saving equipment in public places is simply common sense.”
Maggie said the couple were ‘thrilled’ both they and SADS UK had been mentioned and they supported calls for first aid to be taught in schools.
“It helps us as if they do this they are going to have to put in defibrillators as well as teaching CPR and everything else.
“We are in the process of setting up a petition to send to Worcestershire County Council to campaign for this to happen so it will be absolutely brilliant if that goes through Parliament even before we get that petition started.”
REDDITCH'S shopping centre was looking 'reem' at the
THE PRIME Minister has been branded 'complacent' and
ALMOST 3,000 calls were made to West Midlands
A TEENAGE boy had his mobile phones stolen
RESIDENTS in a three-storey block of flats in Bromsgrove had ...
REPAIR don't bin was the message in Stratford at the ...