By Harriet Ernstsons Tuesday 09 October 2012 Updated: 10/10 10:04
A SCHOOL had to be evacuated after a gas leak thought to be caused by a lawnmower.
Pupils from RSA Arrow Vale were gathered outside and then sent home for the day following the rupture of the mains pipe.
Firefighters from Redditch, West Mercia Police and National Grid attended the scene on Matchborough Way shortly after 11.30am.
A National Grid spokesman said: "We were called after a gas main was damaged by a third party. We ensured the affected stretch of gas main was made safe and now attempting to repair it."
A spokeswoman for Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed one crew had been called out to what she described as a 'significant' gas leak.
Andy Lisserman, Diamond buses supervisor, told the Standard the 57 and 58 route was being temporarily diverted around Matchborough Centre but no services had been cancelled.
Coun Juliet Brunner said buses, traffic and pedestrians were being turned away from the area and the Arrow Vale rugby pitch had been cordoned off.
She was on the bus when a community support office boarded and told commuters they had to get off the bus, which was then moved from the road.
"As we arrived two buses were there which had already stopped. At that point I couldn't see the gas leak.
"It's like a geyser, gushing about 20ft high and I can hear it from my house. I am rather concerned as are a lot of residents."
Matchborough First School and Noah's Ark Nursery are expected to remain open on the advice of emergency services.
TWO MEN have appeared before magistrates in connection
MORE than 50 years of history came to
A BODY was found this morning (Wednesday) in
RESIDENTS are being urged to have their say
HMP HEWELL prisoners experienced thyme travel first hand after creating ...
HEALTH minister, Dan Poulter MP, has said he is confident ...
JOHNSONS Coach Travel has beaten off competition from operators across ...