By Harriet Ernstsons 24/08 Updated: 29/08 11:56
THE CHILDREN of two men who died after falling onto the Bromsgrove Highway have joined forces with teenagers from across the town to attract over 800 signatures on a petition calling for action.
The petition was set up by friends Dan Ellis, Scott Penlington and Nathan Rewbury who knew the families of both men and they have since been joined by a group including the children of Richard Need and Lee Laight, who both lost their lives this summer in similar but unconnected incidents less than a month apart.
They have spent the last week in Redditch town centre telling people about their campaign while wearing Make A Difference t-shirts printed free of charge for them by Am Screenprint in Millsborough House.
Dan, 19, told the Standard he and Scott, 18, and Nathan, 19, had the idea after walking over the bridge near Headless Cross.
"We decided we needed to try and do something to get the bridged caged over and stop other families hurting like they are. We printed off some petition sheets and went in to town to speak to people, ask if they had heard about the deaths and get signatures from them.
"Around 80 per cent of the reaction has been people wanting something to happen there to make it safe, the other 20 per cent say if someone's in that mindset there are other ways they can do it.
"But the main consensus is to get it done. We just say we can only deal with one problem at a time.
"We feel positive and will keep going out there and getting more signatures. More people are getting to hear about it now as some people know about it before we have even approached them."
The group is also setting up meetings with authorities such as Redditch Borough Council to look at other ways they can help vulnerable people in the town.
REDDITCH Paralympian Claire Cashmore will set out to
MORE than 1,000 people flocked to Wythall Transport
TRADITIONAL activities and events for all ages will
A PROJECT to archive the swathes of Redditch
BUILDING work has started on new Bromsgrove retail park which ...
A PRISONER who went on the run after being released ...
A TRADER who caused unnecessary suffering to a rabbit he ...