Reds sink woeful Weymouth

By Ian Dipple 28/04 Updated: 28/04 18:22

Buy photos » Stuart Hendrie set Redditch on their way to a 2-0 win over Weymouth.

Redditch United 2 Weymouth 0

Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division

Report by Ian Dipple

REDDITCH signed off the season in style with a convincing 2-0 win over a woeful Weymouth side but in truth the game could have ended with the scoreline in double figures.

Inspired by another sublime performance by the Hendrie brothers The Reds were rampant throughout but manager Graham Hyde will know his side have to be more ruthless in front of goal after missing a glut of gilt edged chances.

It took just 11 minutes for Redditch to take the lead as Stuart Hendrie warmed the crowd at a windswept Valley Stadium with a floating lob from the edge of the area giving Tom Manley no chance in the Weymouth goal. That was after he had narrowly failed to give Redditch the lead with only two minutes gone after seeing his shot blocked off the line by Rhys Baggridge.

Joe Hull was also denied, but this time by the post after seeing his close range shot cannon the woodwork in the sixth minute.

Hull had another chance to get on the scoresheet on 38minutes but scooped over the bar from point blank range while just four minutes later Lee Hendrie – who put in another talismanic performance – put Lee Osborne in behind the defence but he delayed getting his shot away and Baggridge was able to get a last ditch tackle in.

Weymouth offered little in return and had to wait until the stroke of half-time for their first real chance but Ben Gerring’s thumping half volley was tipped onto the upright by an alert Dean Coleman.

The visitors were a little brighter at the start of the second half and Ollie Tribe missed the chance to level proceedings when blazing over in the opening minutes from close range.

But it proved to be a false dawn as Redditch reasserted control. Manley was booked for handling a back-pass, much to his frustration, on 54minutes and Lee Hendrie’s resulting chipped free-kick from just inside the box had to be headed off the line.

The Weymouth goalkeeper was lucky to still be on the pitch just five minutes later as he gave away a penalty after rushing out and bringing down Osborne. Referee Craig Taylor chose to keep his cards in his pocket and Sam Adkins wasted the chance to double Redditch’s lead with a soft penalty Manley comfortably held low to his right.

Then came an embarrassing miss from Stuart Hendrie who despite being free at the back post and having all the time in the world to tap in Tesfa Robinson’s dangerous low cross across the box he somehow managed to miss the ball.

Jimmy Deabill then had his shot cleared when heading for the goal after Lee Hendrie had once again carved open the Weymouth defence while Deabill then turned provider for Stuart Hendrie who forced a wonderful diving save from Manley.

Redditch finally deservedly doubled their lead on 81 minutes when they were awarded a second penalty after Joe Halsall was brought down by Manley. This time there was no escape for the Weymouth shot-stopper as he was given his marching orders.

Lee Osborne stepped up to rifle home the spot-kick but six minutes later he had egg on his face after putting Lee Hendrie’s squared ball wide of an open goal.

He did not have too much time to reflect on his miss though as moments later he pulled up and collapsed to the floor chasing a long ball and had to end a fine game by sliding himself off the pitch.

It was the only blot on an otherwise fine performance which will leave Reds fans hopeful the club can begin to match the success it has had off the field this season, on it during the next campaign.

* BEFORE the game a minute's applause was held in memory of Alf Kimberley who was a much loved fan, supporter and volunteer at the club and who passed away recently.

Popular Stories »

1 Parking fury as bailiffs move in to Mount Pleasant

2 Redditch man wanted by police

3 Disabled mans bedroom tax story shocks minister

4 Redditch man jailed for sexual assault

5 Pulling in new punters and pints

More sport »

Brothers in arms as Reds clinch safety

THE HENDRIE brothers proved the inspiration as they

Town swimmers are county champions

REDDITCH Swimming Club continued their hugely successful start

Redditch cruise to opening day victory

REDDITCH got their Worcestershire League Division One season

Impressive Woodrush push champions all the way

WOODRUSH achieved a moral victory on the final

Regional sport »

Bromsgrove Standard
Title race set to go to the wire

BROMSGROVE Sporting have made it a two-horse race for the ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Stratford Observer
Town are relishing Merthyr challenge

CARL ADAMS says Stratford Town will be ready for their ...

Evesham Observer
Girls savour success

EVESHAM RFC girls have enjoyed a superb season which culminated ...

Business Directory »

See your advert here »