By Sarah Beard 29/03 Updated: 29/03 17:02
A TOWN centre building has been damaged by fire again for the second time in just over three years.
Thick black smoke was seen billowing out of the former Jade Garden Chinese restaurant site shortly after 2.30pm yesterday (Thursday). Police were the first on the scene and set-up a cordon around Church Green West as crowds gathered to watch. The building was still being re-furbished after it was gutted by a major blaze in 2008.
Fire crews from Redditch and Bromsgrove were called to deal with the fire which had started on a flat roof at the back of the building and led to smoke going into the Jade Garden building.
Rev David Vaughan rang 999 after spotting the smoke.
"I thought it was just some rubbish being burnt around the back and then I saw the smoke coming through the windows."
Rev Stephen Levett added: "I came out of church and saw a crowd of people looking up and thats when I noticed the smoke coming from the windows of Jade Garden. I was looking forward to it being open. I feel for the owner."
Station Commander Chris White, from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service, said workmen had been on the flat roof at the back of the building when the fire started.
"We believe the cause of the fire was Bitumen (being used by the roofers) which ignited accidentally."
REDDITCH United have pulled off a tremendous coup
LABOUR leader Ed Miliband has called on the
KINKY couples and individuals have been meeting up
LIBRARY opening times are being cut and at
THE SENTENCING of a man who admitted to killing his ...
A FORMER Warwickshire Magistrate has escaped jail after his car ...
A BROADWAY electrical firm has added a bright spark to ...