By Catherine Phillips 26/03 Updated: 26/03 12:34
AN EAGLE-EYED neighbour raised the alarm after spotting a house fire in Matchborough yesterday morning (Sunday).
The house in Brinklow Close was left severly damaged by the fire which also claimed the life of the family pet parrot.
The neighbour has been praised by station commander Steve Fox who said the damage would have been worse without the person noticing smoke coming from the house at 9.40am and alerting the fire brigade.
Two crews from Redditch were at the house within minutes and were joined by crews from Studley and Alcester and a third pump from Redditch.
Crews found a fire in the washing machine in the ground floor utility area of the two-storey family home.
Four fire-fighters wearing breathing apparatus brought the fire under control with the use of two high pressure hose reels.
Positive pressure ventilation equipment was also used to help clear the smoke.
Station commander Steve Fox from HWFRS said: “While no one was injured as a result of this fire, there was extensive fire damage to the utility and cloakroom area where the fire started as well as to the hall, stairs and landing.
"There was also smoke damage throughout the house and sadly the family parrot perished as a result of the incident as well.”
The cause of the fire was being linked to an electrical fault on the washing machine.
Before leaving the area, crews called at other homes in the area to offer home fire safety advice and also fitted smoke alarms in a neighbouring property.
AN ALLEYWAY has been cordoned off following an
RESIDENTS are being urged to do battle against
ALMOST £250,000 of taxpayers money has been recovered
A RALLYING call has been issued to residents
HILLSBOROUGH campaigner Louise Brookes has urged anyone who experienced dangerous ...
HEALTH minister, Dan Poulter MP, has said he is confident ...
JOHNSONS Coach Travel has beaten off competition from operators across ...
A PAEDOPHILE has been jailed for 12 years for sexually ...